HACCP stands for "Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point". Codex Alimentarius Commission (International Food Standard Commission) defines the HACCP as "a system checking, evaluating and controlling hazardous factors critical to food safety, while the Korean Food and Safety Administration translates the HACCP as "Food hazardous factor priority control standard". HACCP often sounds "HASSOP".
HACCP may be divided into two parts, HA and CCP.
HA (Hazard Analysis) is focused on verification of hazardous factors of food that may occur in each stage of food product manufacturing, starting from growth, production and pick-up of raw materials to a final stage of the food materials into consumers' hands via manufacturing, storage and circulation of products, and evaluation of severity of risks, while CCP(Critical Control Point) is centered on stages and processes capable of preventing and removing hazards, or assuring food safety by applying the HACCP.
Necessity of Introduction of HACCP and effects
Food poisoning microorganisms such as salmonella, disease-causing coliform O-157, listeria, campylobacter and other forms of bacteria being frequently detected, and hazards are spread by pesticides, residual veterinary chemicals, heavy metals and chemical materials (DOP), phyto-hydrolytic protein (MCPD) and dioxin. As interests in securing sanitation safety of food are gradually on the increase. a recognized preventative method is to introduce and apply HACCP which can effectively control hazardous factors. Western Europe and USA have already demanded an adoption of HACCP to several foods imported from foreign countries. HACCP introduction is sincerely demanded to encourage export competitiveness.
The introduction and application of HACCP, a new sanitary control technique, for effectively controlling these hazard factors would be the most effective solution. Many countries including those in western Europe and the USA require introduction and application of HACCP to several food items imported into their countries, and it is a fact that the introduction of HACCP is a prerequisite to the security of superiority in expert competitiveness.
The introduction of HACCP may expect the following effects.
- Aspect from foodstuff manufacturers
- Capacity to establish self-reliant sanitary control system
- Capacity to manufacture sanitary and safe food
- Capacity to concentrate sanitary control and efficiency enhancement
- Capacity to promote economic interests
- Capacity to promote corporate images and improvement of confidence
- Aspect from consumers
- Capability to provide safe food to consumers
- Capability to provide an opportunity to choose safe food
2. Features of HACCP model
Structure of HACCP model
The HACCP and SSOP may correspond to software of a computer, while GMP or sanitary control program may be equivalent to hardware of a computer.
ICR Service Methodology
ICR (International Certification Registrar, LTD.,) auditors armed with profound experience and professional knowledge in food industries provide customers with valuable services through HACCP certification service based on full understanding and high-level audit achievement of business characteristics and process of customers.
- Contract for certification audit
- Preliminary audit: Checking to be made on where security of a system is required through review of management system prior to certification audit for registration
- Audit for certification registration
- STAGE 1 audit: Review of HACCP program documents and on-site checking
- STAGE 2 audit (On-site audit): Checking on implementation of HACCP programs
- Surveillance management audit: Periodic checking on continual effectiveness of HACCP system
- Recertification audit: Audit for re-registration every three years on a par with an initial audit level
- Integrated audit: Integrated audit of safety and health management system with other management systems (quality management system, and environment management system) is possible.